Makes about 1 quart
After making ice cream at home you may never go back to store bought varieties (or you might as it is a lot easier)! Seriously though, it is pretty simple to make any kind of ice cream at home with an ice cream maker - self churn or automatic, it doesn’t matter. This ice cream uses only honey as the sweetener, so make sure to use a high quality honey (like Seek&Bee!) Also, this ice cream will not freeze completely solid since honey causes ice cream to retain a soft consistency even when fully frozen.
- 1 ⅓ cups milk
- 1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon
- Pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch with a few tablespoons of the milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare the ice water bath - fill a large bowl with water, add lots of ice - should be 50/50 water and ice. Set aside
- In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan heat remaining milk, cream and honey over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until honey dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cornstarch slurry, return to heat and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and a pinch of salt, and pour mixture into a plastic ziplock bag. Seal completely and submerge in ice water bath until completely chilled.
- Process mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.