This is a super easy bread recipe - easy and fast enough to put together for an accompaniment or finish with supper If made the night before it could be heated the following morning, served with yogurt and fruit for a simple breakfast. Any other berries or even cherries could be used. Grapes work really well too!
- 1 tablespoon active dry or instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 large egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup blackberries
- Raw Honey for drizzling
- Line the bottom of a 9" cake pan with parchment paper. Brush the inside edges with olive oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yeast, warm water, and 1 Tablespoon honey. Let the yeast activate for 10 to 15 minutes, until foamy.
- Combine the flour, salt, black pepper, and thyme in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture, olive oil, honey, and egg. Mix at medium speed for 1 minute. The dough should have the consistency of thick cake batter. Add a little warm water if needed.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Grease your fingers and use them to spread the dough evenly. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 45 to 50 minutes, until doubled in volume. The time will vary depending on room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the plastic wrap from the pan, and lightly brush the top with olive oil. Gently press the blackberries into the dough. Sprinkle the top with a pinch of sea salt.
Bake the focaccia for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Remove it from the oven. Drizzle honey over hot loaf, then let cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes before turning it out of the pan and returning it to the rack to cool completely. (Although this is really good right out of the oven so letting it cool completely is not totally necessary!)
Best eaten within 24 hours of baking. Keep well wrapped in plastic wrap or bread bag. Enjoy!!